(noun)foolish and prolonged talk

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The luxury of refusing business.

When I was in college, I was fortunate enough to spend one of my spring breaks in France and Belgium. I studied French in high school and even in college during my freshman year. However, my French is absolutely atrocious. That short week, I annoyed my friends that did speak French quite well by incessantly repeating: "je vais a la plage" (I go to the beach).

Anyways, yesterday I read on Boston.com that Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia has posted a sign stating they will only serve individuals who speak English. I started to remember the few times I have been out of this country in a foreign speaking environment. On my trip to France and Belgium, and on my trips to Italy and Switzerland, my money was never refused...

I wonder how the US would react if all the businesses in Europe that serve "ignorant" American tourists, simply refused to serve us? I wonder what France's reputation would be then?? Geno's already lists French fries as "Freedom Fries".

Read the article on Boston.com: Philadelphia serves bias warning to eatery

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheez said...

I was planning on going to Geno's this weekend...maybe I'll have to reconsider now! Or maybe I'll go have my picture taken next to the sign...:P

11:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home